Monday, May 13, 2013

What Information Should You Trust When Looking Online? What Information Is Reliable?

Since we're all searching for answers on the internet nowadays I thought I would address what we should all be doing as pet parents when searching for answers.  The 'world wide web' is a fascinating place and full of great information and resources for us to gleen insight and answers. However, should we really be trusting this information and treating our pets ourselves?

My answer to that is no because there is no substitute for medical professional insight.  I am a person who will admittedly research things prior to calling people but I have experience in medical problems with both animals and humans.  While I will never know everything (nobody ever does) I feel I have the ability to recognize a true emergency and will rush my animal or myself or other family member to an emergency room in a heartbeat if I feel it's necessary.

My personal cat Joleigh


So how do we know what's helpful and what is random information someone made up?  That is the harder part.  I personally look for things that come from vets themselves who have experience, trainers, behaviorists, etc.  I look for the length of time they have been in their specific business.  I look at the actual experience they have in the field in which I'm researching.

I try to stay away from sites such as wikipedia because if universities do not allow it as a reliable resource then I won't trust it for information I'm looking for regarding the health of my furry and non-furry family members.  Wikipedia is also a site others can add information to which may or may not be verified by someone in that field.

Our society is so '.com' oriented that researching information isn't all that uncommon.  When we get into trouble when we start trusting all of the information we come across.  If we are uncertain so to what to do after looking at information and our pet is eating and drinking and not acting in immediate danger then I personally just call the vet and tell them what is going on and let them tell me what to do.  Often vets will tell you to bring your pet in because they can't make a diagnosis over the phone; however, giving the vet as much information as possible (yes, including things like feces and urine output, consistency, etc.) will help him/her tremendously.  I do that with a vet our animal rescue organization uses frequently.  I will send her an email sometimes including pictures to give her the best idea possible as to what is going on.  Sometimes a phone call is necessary as well.  If I do have to take the pet in then it will also save the vet time in asking unnecessary questions because he/she already knows some of the history.

I will never tell anyone not to go see their vet if it makes them feel better.  Ultimately that is the person who, besides you, knows your pet best.  If you just don't feel right about their condition or know that something "just isn't right" then you should always go with your gut feeling because that is usually right.  I have learned that the hard way through my years working with rescue animals.

My personal cat Blackberry


We all have our pets' best interest in mind and they are family members, but like our children we can't run them to the doctor every time they sneeze once and in my opinion you shouldn't.  Some things are just normal.  It's okay not to be paranoid but I would not disregard any gut feelings you have either.

Just use common sense when researching information and when all else fails and you still aren't sure what to do or where to go then call your vet.  They would rather you call and it be an easy question or nothing at all than to not call and it be something serious.

As always, thank you for reading and if you have any questions, comments or concerns please let us know.  Don't forget to follow us on Twitter and Facebook!  We also have a magazine on Flipbook you can subscribe to as well!  Tell you family and friends about us.

No comments:

Post a Comment